Monday, February 26, 2018

Menu plan for the week of February 26

I made a discovery last week.  Commercially canned beans are different from my home canned beans.  Yeah, I know.  Seems like not an earth shattering discovery.  But seriously?  Aren't black beans black beans?

Last week I made a 1.5 batch of taco bean soup, because now I have a pot that can hold more than one batch.  And for the black beans, I used a quart of my home canned beans, plus a 15 oz can of commercially canned beans.  My sis keeps mailing commercially canned black beans to me.  Because she loves me.  And also, because I use them more frequently than she does.

Anyway, there were the two different varieties of black beans in the soup, and I noticed that both the taste (which makes sense, since my beans don't have added salt), and the texture (which makes less sense, because presumably the safety standards and cooking times are similar) were different.  They even look different.  Theirs are, well, black, and mine are a lovely deep purpley-black color.  There I was, eating my soup, and something was just a little ... off ... about it.  So I isolated one of each and tasted and, well, there I was.  Knowing that they're different.  Which I already knew.  I just wasn't expecting to notice.

There isn't any taco bean soup on the menu this week, because 1.5 batches is enough to last more than a week, but there are other yummy things, and even one that uses black beans (for which I will use the last of the commercially canned black beans that my sis sent to me).  Here's what's on the menu this week:

Supper:

  • Meat sauce with angel hair pasta, green beans, garlic toast, pears
  • Tacos with taco toppings and guacamole
  • Chunky slow cooker beef stew, rolls
  • Mexican quinoa with grilled chicken, tortilla chips
  • Hamburgers, buns, oven fries, carrots, jello
  • Grilled pork chops, mashed potatoes, grilled green veggie
  • Grilled chicken, salad, grilled green veggie, "baked" potatoes
  • Beef and potato casserole (I guess this is the recipe I need to share next, because I can't find it online), green beans, applesauce


Other:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...