Thursday, May 11, 2017

Chicken names

The chicks have arrived, and now, for the first time ever, our household consists of more girls than boys.  At least that's the hope.  Chick sexing is an inexact science: more of an art, really.

Bubby and I were talking about names this morning.  Austro, Rocky, and Red have stuck.  The names really seem to fit the birds.  MC seems to be a little uncertain about Toasty Crunch--I guess we'll have to see if she grows into the name.  And then there's the Easter Egger.  She looks and behaves nothing at all like an Edith.  Edie, maybe, but not Edith.

So Bubby was trying out names, and suggested Egger, to which I responded Edgar, to which he countered Edward.  Edward?  Really?  When I suggested that Edward wasn't really a girl name, he said that Red wasn't really a girl name either, and neither was Rocky.  Which is when I realized: two of our chicks are named after our college friends, both of whom are women, despite the masculine-ish nicknames.  I wonder if the others should be named Blonde Kid, Wiggly, and Bert?

I think the girls like it here.  They figured out their food and water quickly, and seem to like snuggling up under their "mama hen."  Everybody survived the night--we didn't hear a peep from them.  More pictures soon, but for now, I'll leave you with these...

We had a long drive after picking the girls up, so I brought along some chemical hand warmers, which I placed in a sock, to keep them warm.
From left to right:
Red (Rhode Island Red), Austro (Black Australorp) (both by the feeder), Easter Egger (by the water), Rocky (Barred Rock), Toasty Crunch (Cinnamon Queen)

Rocky, Red, and Austro, snuggling under mama
(the Easter Egger is behind and to the right of Austro)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...