Thursday, March 9, 2017

Progress on 2017 Goals: February's Trader Joe's Purchase

As I explained in my post "Resolved," one of my 2017 goals is to try something new from Trader Joe's each month.  And as I explained in my post "Progress on 2017 Goals: January's Trader Joe's Purchase," I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to continue.  

In February, I decided I needed to get something that I was certain I would like, in order to bolster my confidence, and to uncover the perseverance required to continue on this quest.  In February, I chose to purchase Trader Joe's Crunchy Salted Peanut Butter with Flax & Chia Seeds (added bonus: this jar is so.stinkin'.cute).


 (Click here to read what Trader Joe's has to say about this product; click here to order from Amazon)
I am a lover of peanut butter, and this peanut butter did not disappoint.  The ingredients are simple: just roasted peanuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, and sea salt.  

When I opened the jar, as is typical with natural peanut butters, a thin layer of peanut oil floated on top, which I stirred back into the peanut butter.  Fearing I would have to stir each time I used it, I was pleased to find that with refrigeration, the oil stayed integrated with the peanut butter.  The butter tasted intensely of peanuts, as only a simple peanut butter,with no added hydrogenated oils, artificial preservatives, or sugar, can.  The texture was stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth thick, and just a small amount was sufficient to satisfy my hunger.  There were a good amount of peanut chunks sprinkled throughout, and I loved the extra crunch provided by the flax and chia seeds.

I enjoyed this peanut butter spread on apple slices and celery sticks, in a homemade peanut butter cup recipe, and on a spoon, straight from the jar.  Right at this moment, I am fantasizing about mixing this peanut butter with some of the maple (box elder) syrup that's simmering on my stove (I've got about 16 gallons of sap in, and we're entering a cold (no sap flowing) spell, so I'm planning to finish off my first batch today or tomorrow.  I'll let you know how it goes).  Mmmmm!  So delicious. 

February's TJ's purchase was a rousing success!  I am still a bit leary of this project, but I'm looking forward to my March trip to Trader Joe's.  My fabulous Facebook friends came through with scads of suggestions for my next purchases, but I'm fasting from Facebook so I don't have access to those suggestions right now.  I guess I'm on my own.  Unless, of course, you'd like to leave your favorites in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...