Thursday, December 31, 2015

Favorite Christmas posts countdown: 2

This week I'm sharing some of my favorite Christmas posts.  This post was originally published in December of 2011.

Christmas Greetings


Let me just preface this by saying I didn't mean to send our Christmas cards out this year after Christmas.  I put a great deal of thought and effort into our Christmas newsletter each year, and this year, I just wasn't inspired until after the big day.  I thought this would be the year without a letter, which saddened me tremendously, because over the years the letter has evolved from something I did for you, my friends and family, to something I did for me.  Which is not to say that I don't think of all of you as I'm writing, just that I've come to realize that while you enjoy the letters, I treasure them.  It is such a treat to read through our previous letters each year to remember again where we've been.

I didn't mean to send our Christmas greetings after Christmas, but I think you'll see why I think it worked out perfectly.

Read on...

Dear Family and Friends,

Merry Christmas!

When I (Scarlet) was in high school, I used to go around saying, “Merry Christmas” all the time.  If you’ve known me long enough, maybe you remember.  I think it must have been my I-am-unique-remember-me response to being one among hundreds of students in my high school.  Oh, yeah, and there was also the turbulence inherent in adolescence—that makes people do strange things.  It didn’t matter what time of year it was—always, my standard greeting was, “Merry Christmas.”  Kind of silly.

            Now that I’m older, and (presumably) wiser, I’ve come to realize that maybe it wasn’t so silly after all.  You see, every day can and should hold a little bit of Christmas, because God, first in the form of Christ, the Son, and now in the presence of the Holy Spirit, has come to live among us.

            And so, I think it’s fitting to remember, after the hustle and bustle and excitement, after the anticipation and build-up, followed by the inevitable let-down of the busy holiday season, that God is here with us. Every day.  And that is why we celebrate.

            We hope that you have found peace and joy in this truth, even through the busyness of the season which often masks the truth.  We pray that you will be blessed by God’s presence, and experience Christmas joy,every day in the coming year.

Love and peace,
The Bluefield Family

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...