Friday, December 4, 2015

Breakfast

We do this thing every morning, Bubby and I.

He wakes up and gets dressed, then we check the lunch and snack calendar and he tells me whether he wants school lunch and snack that day or wants to bring them from home.

And then I ask him what he wants for breakfast.

It's a simple question, really.  Some of us start thinking about what we're going to have for breakfast as soon as the supper dishes are cleared away.  We're forward thinkers, in that way.  Especially those of us who use things, like egg whites and berries, that need to be thawed before they are consumed.  Some of us have the same thing for breakfast every day so we don't have to make that decision.  But even those of us who don't plan ahead think about food constantly or have to thaw things should be able to answer that question without too much difficulty.

Poor Bubby.  Every day, he struggles with this simple question of how to break his fast.  Since he doesn't know what he wants, he stalls for time, telling me he's not hungry yet.  And I let him.  I've figured it out after 8+ years of being his mama.  He needs a little time in the morning.

So we set a timer to remind us to ask again.

And when the timer rings, Bubby says, "I want toast with peanut butter for breakfast."

Every morning.

{Source}
It's comforting to have our routines, isn't it?  I don't know if Bubby honestly doesn't know the first time I ask that he will have toast, or if he just likes the give and take and the pauses of the routine.  Doesn't matter.  I will continue to ask my boy what he wants for breakfast, and he will continue to not be hungry, and I will continue to set a timer, and he will continue to ask for toast with peanut butter.

Until he doesn't anymore.  And that will be ok, too.

Good morning, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...