Friday, September 25, 2015

{Improved} AKD's 7 Layer Bars

My oldest son, AKD, is, quite simply, awesome.  Really and truly, he is such a blessing to me and to our family.  I may have told you this before, but here it is again.

When I was pregnant with AKD I was sick.  I was nauseous pretty much all the time, except for the 30 minutes or so after vomiting. So I would throw up, and then immediately eat, because I knew whatever I ate then would stay down.  My morning all-day sickness lasted from about 7 weeks until about 15 weeks, and it was not fun.  I threw up 2-3 times a day during that time.

When I was pregnant with my second child, MC, I was even sicker.  I was nauseous all the time, even immediately after vomiting, and I threw up 4-5 times a day from 5 weeks until 17 weeks.  It was horrible.  There were times when I would just be laying curled up on the floor in 2 year old AKD's bedroom, watching him play, because I couldn't do anything else.  I remember AKD putting himself to bed one night because Hubby was working late and I was hunched over the toilet.  I also remember leaning over the toilet, heaving, while my sweet little 2 year old rubbed my back and told me it was going to be OK.  Seriously.  He was responsible, kind, and compassionate at 2 years old, and he's still responsible, kind, and compassionate at 15.  Love him.  So much.

Anyway, there are a few things about which AKD is passionate.  Kayaking.  Biking.  And sweets.  Oh, yes, the poor boy inherited his mama's (and grand-dad's) sweet tooth.


Years ago ... five and a half years ago ... AKD developed a recipe for 7 layer bars.  We don't make them often, but AKD has made improvements on the recipe over the years, and he thinks he's hit on the perfect combination.  I think so too.

You may recall that the original recipe called for caramel.  Now, instead of caramel, AKD uses rolo candies.  And yes, that little change makes these bars over the top amazing.

{Source}
AKD's Seven Layer Bars
Here's what you need:

  • Chocolate chip cookie dough (we use this recipe without the nuts)
  • Rolos candies (about 36)
  • Sweetened shredded coconut (about 1/4 c.)
  • Chocolate chips (about 1/2 c.)
  • Milk chocolate m&ms candies (about 1/2 c.)
  • Heath bits o'brickle toffee bits (about 1/4 c.)

Here's what you do:

  • Press a layer of cookie dough into a 9x13" pan, about 1/2" thick.  We use about 1/2 of our recipe.  Since recipes vary, you might use more or less.  
  • Bake in a 375 degree oven until the edges are lightly brown and set, but the center is still not done, about 15 minutes.
  • Immediately throw unwrapped rolos candies at the cookie dough in the pan.  You want them to sink into the dough a bit and start to melt, so use a little bit of force.  We use about 36.
  • Sprinkle the remaining ingredients on top, as much as you think looks good.  We use 1/4 to 1/2 c. of each.
  • Crumble bits of the remaining cookie dough over the top.  We use about 1/2 of what's left, or 1/4 of the whole recipe.
  • Bake the bars until they are cooked through and the cookie dough on top is lightly brown, about 15 minutes.

I made these the other day for AKD's bike race.  And then, because I had leftover rolos and leftover cookie dough, I made rolo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies.  Yes I did.  Because that's how I roll ... o.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...