Saturday, August 1, 2015

Things that made me smile this week

So y'all know I was taking care of chickens this week, and I really enjoyed getting to know the girls.  One day this week, after I let them out, Mr. Rooster was strutting around the area with about half a dozen of his hen-harem following him around.  And I do mean strutting.  He was proud: head up, chest out, crowing to his groupies.  Ever heard of an extremely confident person being described as "cocky"?  Well, now I know why.  Totally made my day to see him protecting his girls like that, and them following him wherever he went.

Rhode Island Red Hen Rooster
{Source}
 In other chicken news, there is a sheet and a mattress pad hung up between the people part and the chicken part of the coop, for separation, as well as insulation.  And every day, when I pulled aside the sheet to go in and collect eggs, one beautiful brown egg rolled out.  Yes, one of the girls likes to lay in the cozy privacy afforded by the divider.  And I can't say I blame her.  All of the actual nest boxes, where the eggs are supposed to be laid, are exposed.  If I was going to lay an egg, I would definitely want a little privacy.  Cracked me up to see that egg roll out every day, though.

Pile-of-Brown-Eggs
{Source}
And it also cracks me up to say that something about eggs cracks me up.  Ha!

Our neighbors have a lawn service.  The other day, as I was driving past, I noticed the freshly cut grass and the enclosed trailer of the lawn service in the driveway, and I thought, oh, how nice, their grass got cut--looks good.  But I happened to glance in the trailer as I passed, and there was the mower, in the trailer, with the guy just sitting there, taking a little break.  On the mower.  In the trailer.

I guess you had to be there, but it made me smile.

Of course, my garden makes me smile.  It changes daily, and every new pumpkin, squash, melon, and cucumber makes me smile.  There are quite a few pickling cucumbers just starting to form, which should make Bubby happy--he's the one who wanted me to grow pickles, and it's looking like we might actually have enough to make at least some.

And then there's this guy:


The kid he's clinging to makes me smile, too :)

What made you smile this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...