Thursday, November 20, 2014

Chicken Crust Pizza

What is it about pizza that makes it a less healthy food?

Well, first of all, pizza toppings tend to be high in fat and sodium. Now I'm not saying that those are bad things--we do need both in our diets--but pizza toppings tend to be some of the worst culprits, giving us way more fat and sodium than we need.

Then there's the crust--it's full of simple carbs that jack up your blood sugar and leave you craving more carbs a few hours later.

Not much I can do about the toppings, except to tell you to make better choices (more veggies, less processed meat).  But what if I told you I found a recipe for a gluten-free, carb-free pizza crust that actually tastes just like (or maybe ever better than) the simple-carb version we all know and love?

Oh yes, I did! I know you don't believe me.  Just trust me on this, and try it before passing judgement, m'kay?

You make your crust out of chicken.  That's it!  Chicken!  I know!  Crazy, but it works!

Chicken crust pizza topped with cheese, mushrooms, red peppers, pepperoni, and chopped tomatoes.
This particular pizza does not have sauce on it, because Hubby used it all for the traditional pizzas he was making.  Hubby was cooking, so how can I be upset about that?  Just making sure I get my sauce first next time!  He always puts on way too much sauce anyway...
Here's how you do it (adapted from here):

Pound a 4-6 oz chicken breast as flat as you can--1/4" thick is good.  Brush the chicken breast with olive oil and season (salt and pepper is good; crushed garlic is even better--but use your imagination.  Any pizza herbs or spices will be divine).  Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes or until cooked through.

Next, add your toppings.  Pizza sauce, tons of veggies, turkey pepperoni or sausage, and of course, a little bit of cheese.  I've been using real grated Parmesan and 2% mozzarella--so yummy!

Put your pizza back into the oven for a few minutes until the cheese melts.

That's it!  I have heard, that if you want to make one large pizza for several people to share, you can just pound your chicken breasts out into a cookie sheet or pizza pan, making sure they're touching, and they will link together during cooking, forming a larger crust.  Then just add whatever toppings you wish.

Honestly, try it.  I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...