Monday, May 5, 2014

Menu Plan for the Week of May 5

I have a flaw in my menu-planning, grocery-procuring system.  I plan menus on the weekend for the following week, Monday through Sunday.  But I don't go grocery shopping until Tuesday.  So whatever I plan for Monday needs to be something for which we already have all of the ingredients in the house.

I've tried to plan for Tuesday through Monday instead, but I've just got this mental block thing going on.  I don't want to plan for Monday last.  It just doesn't seem right.

But I really need to be more diligent in planning ahead for Mondays, because I'm experiencing a major meal-planning dilemma this week.  I know we have enough food that we won't starve, I just can't figure out how to put it together in a delicious, nutritious meal.  So, what do we do around here when we don't know what to eat?  We have breakfast for dinner.  That, or the wildly popular Fend-For-Yourself (seriously, the kids cheer when I announce that it's Fend-For-Yourself night).

Usually breakfast for dinner in our house means pancakes or waffles, or even the occasional omelet, but this week, since Monday is a national holiday in Mexico, we're gonna go with an ethnic favorite: vanilla challah French toast.  Yes, I know that neither challah nor French toast is a traditional Mexican dish, but we do have all of the ingredients in the house (since I've been planning to make this on a Saturday for the past 3 weeks and haven't been able to get it together--hopefully a change of day, coupled with the desperation of not being able to buy anything new, will get this meal made), and it is ethnic.  To make up for my grievous lack of preparation for this important celebration, we'll be eating Mexican style foods for a good portion of the rest of the week.

Here ya go:
Vanilla Challah French toast Recipe
{Source}

The Menu:
 
--Vanilla Challah French Toast, fresh fruit salad, and whipped cream
--Beef Empanadas, tossed salad, corn
--Haystacks with the addition of seasoned kidney beans (these are kind of like taco salad, but each person gets to build his own)
--Super Simple Meat & Cheese Burritos and Bean & Cheese Burritos (make extra; freeze), vegetable medley, peaches
--Calzone with marinara for dipping, green beans
--Cub Scout Dinner, Campfire S'mores Cupcakes
--Pork Chops, potato planks, corn, applesauce

Campfire S’mores Cupcakes
{Source}
Next Monday:
(well, I did it once...let's see if I can keep this up)
--Hamburger Stroganoff, green beans, applesauce

Other/Breakfast:
--Challah Bread
--Homemade Fruit Snacks
--Cookies for Teacher Appreciation Week

Your Turn:
What's on your menu this week?
And did you see that up there?  Cookies for Teacher Appreciation Week?  What kind should I make?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...