Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Overnight Oatmeal

Our over-the-range microwave is making strange noises.  And making strange smells.  And--and this is key--not heating things. This is a problem, because my daily routine depends on the microwave.  I have oatmeal for breakfast every day.  Made in the microwave.  I have leftovers for lunch almost every day.  Heated in the microwave.  I forget to thaw meat for supper a few times a week, and I rely on that machine to help my forgetful self out with some gentle-but-fast thawing so I can feed my family.
Product Image
So what's an oatmeal-for-breakfast-every-day, set-in-her-ways-so-much-so-that-she-brings-oatmeal-with-her-on-vacation girl like me supposed to do with no microwave?

Make my oatmeal on the stove?  Ridiculous!

Bring the extra microwave that does (to the best of our knowledge) work upstairs to use?  Preposterous!  (even if I could carry it up by myself, I don't think I can handle it taking up all that counter space--think I could get away with putting it on top of the fridge?)

So what's a girl like me to do? 

This girl chooses to view this problem as an opportunity: an opportunity to finally try out overnight (or refrigerator) oatmeal.  Our not-heating, strange-noise-making, horrible-smell-emitting microwave is a blessing, because I like my morning oatmeal so much I couldn't ever bring myself to try something else that I might like just as much, and now I can.

The concept is simple: mix up oatmeal with some sort of liquid (and in this case some people define yogurt as a "liquid").  Then add mix-ins to make it taste good.  Or not.  Whatever.  Put it in a jar, and refrigerate overnight.  Eat it (cold) in the morning.

This stuff is ideal for folks who want to eat a healthy breakfast but don't have a lot of time for morning prep work--just grab it and go.  It's also great for folks who want to eat oatmeal for its health benefits, but don't want to eat a hot breakfast.  And it's perfect for folks who eat oatmeal every day whose microwaves don't heat food anymore.

There are tons of different variations and recipes out there.  Don't believe me?  I suggest Pinterest for your search, because then you'll get to see all the delicious pictures along with the links to recipes.

As for me?  I'm going with this one (with a few tweaks) for my first attempt.


Apple Crisp Refrigerator Oatmeal
{Source}
Wish me luck!

Not sure what I'm going to do about lunch or supper, but at least I've got breakfast covered...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...