Thursday, January 16, 2014

Cream of _________ Soup Substitute

I have a few favorite recipes that call for cream of something soup.  I was making one of my favorites the other day when I discovered we were short one can of condensed cream of mushroom soup.  Whoopsies.  (AKD's fault)  I mentioned a recipe for homemade cream of anything soup in this post, so I knew it was possible, but I remember thinking that that recipe was too complicated (it's not, really), so I looked for something a little simpler.

I found one here, and it worked beautifully in my recipe.  Each batch can be substituted for one can of condensed soup and does not contain modified food starch, potassium chloride, soy protein concentrate, yeast extract, dicalcium phosphate, maltodextrin, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, disodium phosphate, or corn syrup solids, all things I found on the label of my can of cream of mushroom soup.

You know how the infamous "they" used to say you shouldn't eat anything you can't pronounce?  Well, thanks to my organic chemistry classes, I can pronounce all of those things, but I still don't think I want to eat them.

Here's the recipe, with a few tweaks.  It really is easy and simple.  Not quite as easy as opening up a can and dumping it in, but pretty close.


Condensed Cream of Anything Soup
(substitute for one can)

1/2-1 c. of your main ingredient (mushroom, chicken, celery, asparagus, potato)
1 T butter
3 T flour
1/2 c. broth (use beef, chicken, or vegetable, depending on your preference and what your main ingredient is.  Home made is best--use low sodium if possible)
1/2 c. milk (I used skim--worked just fine)
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8 t. onion powder
  1. Sauté your main ingredient until soft, then set aside.  Note: I don't know that I would sauté potatoes--maybe just cube and boil or microwave.
  2. Melt butter in small saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk in flour until smooth, about 2 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat; whisk in milk and broth, a little at a time, until smooth.  Stir in main ingredient.
  4. Return to heat.  Cook and stir until mixture thickens.
  5. Stir in garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...