Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Secret to Crispy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret that will change your life.

OK, maybe not your life, but this secret will definitely change the way you roast pumpkin seeds.

Oh, you don't roast pumpkin seeds, you say?  Well, you're going to want to start, because these are so yummy.

And yes, I know.  It's kind of hard to find pumpkins right now, today, on the 7th of November, but all of you who bought pumpkins intending to carve them for Hallowe'en but never got around to it?  You're going to be glad you're a pumpkin procrastinator today.


I've roasted pumpkin seeds.  They've been pretty good, but I've never really liked the texture--a little too chewy.  These pumpkin seeds are just over the top crunchy perfection.

Here's what you've gotta do.  Boil the pumpkin seeds before you roast them!

I know!  Crazy, right? 

I came across this tip online and I was super skeptical.  I mean, really!  How in the world is getting the seeds wet going to help them be crispy?

But I tried it, and it worked.  Apparently, boiling the seeds makes them easier to digest as well.

Here it is, step by step:
  1. Separate the seeds from the pulp and wash them.  Tedious, but worthwhile.
  2. Boil the seeds.  Place the seeds in a pot of salted water--I used about 1 tsp of salt in about a quart of water.  Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Then drain and pat dry.  They don't have to be bone dry, so don't stress over this step--just pat 'em dry and move on.
  3. Place the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil (I bet coconut oil would be terrific too).  Massage the oil into the seeds so that they're all covered--I used about 1 tsp of olive oil for about 1.5 c. of seeds--and spread into a single layer.  Sprinkle with whatever seasonings you like--I just used a generous sprinkle of salt. 
  4. Bake in a 325* oven for about 20 minutes, stirring after about 10 minutes and checking carefully from about 15 minutes on.  Careful not to overcook!  The inner seed cooks faster than the outer shell, so they might be done before they look done.
That's it!  Try it, my friends.  You will be treated to the yummiest pumpkin seeds ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...