Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Planting time

Well, I don't really know if that title up there is true--with this crazy weather we've been having, who knows when planting time is or was or will be?  Two weeks ago, we had 6 inches of snow on the ground.  Yesterday, our temp reached 95.  I think mother nature must be experiencing hormonal fluctuations.

But despite the uncertainty, urged on by my little helper, I planted about half the garden space this morning.  We planted sugar snap peas, pumpkins, zucchini, and pickling cucumbers before my helper lost interest, and then I planted more cucumbers and zucchini, spinach, carrots, radishes, and a few sunflowers.

Sounds like a lot, doesn't it?  I'm really not sure how we ended up with so much to plant--probably a result of shopping while hungry--never a good idea.  I probably planted everything too close together, especially considering how those pumpkins like to take over the place.  I guess we'll just see what comes up, right?  I am particularly hopeful that the spinach will do well.  Yum!

I'm planning to plant several tomato plants in the flower beds in front of the house again this year--since the flower beds receive more sun than our garden, they did really well there last year.  Hopefully we'll get enough to can again this year (and/or friends will give us their excess garden produce for us to can).  I also discovered a packet of mixed annual flower seeds in our stash, so maybe this weekend I'll go out and turn over the back half of our little garden space and sow those there.


I'm coming across more and more recipes that I'd like to try calling for fresh herbs, and I'd like to grow some, but I'm not sure where yet.  Perhaps in pots on the back porch, so they'll be proximate to the kitchen.  Not a whole lot of sun back there, though.

And finally, I'm hoping that *someone* (cough, cough, my husband, cough, hack, cough) will give me some hanging flower baskets for the front porch for my birthday.  Usually the kids give me flower baskets for mother's day, but I guess they figured the fine mesh sieve (that I bought myself) was both a more urgent need, and a sufficient gift to show their appreciation to the mama.  Thanks, kids :)

And that's it!  What are you planting this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...