Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Adventures (in Mommy-hood)

So, y'all heard about our little adventure last week, mountain biking with the boys.  Some might question my sanity, agreeing to take not just my own three boys, but three whole extra boys (that makes six, just in case you're mathematically impaired) on this type of outing.  Or any type of outing.

In fact, that's just the type of thing that makes me question my own sanity. What was I thinking? Honestly. I've got my hands full enough without adding any thing or any body extra.

But I am so glad I did it. I am so glad I was able to do it.

Let me tell you a story.

Several years ago, I was helping out with Vacation Bible School, and I happened to overhear a conversation between two 7 year old boys. One of the boys, H, had a stay at home mom; both of T's parents worked full time.

T was telling H about the day camps he went to, about all the fun activities they did, and H said, "you're so lucky you get to go to camp and do all that stuff!" To which T replied, "you're lucky you don't have to."

Such a telling response, don't you think? This little boy was so wise to realize the advantage his friend had, just in having his mom around.

Lil' Peanut (AKD) July, 2000
I'm not saying that mommies shouldn't work, or that having two full-time working parents in a family is wrong. I just wonder if it's worth it, both in terms of the emotional cost to the children and of the missed opportunity for shared memories.  I wonder if the sacrifice is worth the pay-off.

Our little Chalupa (MC) April, 2003

Being there for my children, being present with my children--that's priceless. These long summer days of childhood, we will never get them back. There won't be any do-overs. Time marches relentlessly forward, and when my boys are grown, I want to know that I did my very best for them.

Sweetie Pumpkin Pie (Roger) December, 2007

Don't get me wrong--being a mom is so very, very hard.  Sometimes I wish I could be doing anything other than this.  But in the end, I know that what I'm doing is better, is more important, is more satisfying and fulfilling, than any paid job could ever be.

Missionary to the Auca people in Ecuador, Jim Elliot, wrote this in 1949: "he is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  I have to say I agree.

I am so thankful; I am so blessed to be my kids' mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...