Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To Do List--Three Things

A couple of months ago, I mentioned that I had completed my to-do list for the day before noon.  It was a not-very-ambitious to-do list, containing only 3 items, so perhaps not a very thrilling accomplishment, but I was pleased--at least I did something.  The post was a sort of tongue-in-cheek peek at a day in my life, exposing how silly it is to even have a to-do list in my world.  There is so much to be done every day and much of it is repetitious--the rest is unpredictable.  To-do lists don't do much in those circumstances.

I laughed at myself that day for putting only 3 items on my to-do list, but at least I did them.  Now, I think I was really on to something--I'm really liking the 3 item to-do list.  I don't make a to-do list every day (I really should--maybe making a to-do list should be on my to-do list), but about a week later I made another one, this time with 4 items.  I don't remember what those four things were, but I do remember that I only accomplished 3 of them.

I don't know what it is about the number 3, but somehow, it's doable.  It's not too much, but it's a start.

I don't know if you know this about me, but I am easily overwhelmed.  And being overwhelmed causes me to shut down and seek escape.  Let's face it: there are waaaaay more than 3 things each day in the world that deserve my attention.  And since we're being perfectly honest here, there is absolutely no way I will ever accomplish all of those things in one day.  Overwhelming.

But, I can choose the three that I wish to work on today, each day.  That, I can do.  Three things. 

Anything else is gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...