Thursday, May 3, 2012

Dessert

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, our family only has dessert on Sundays.  To me, this means we ought to have something special, but we've been in a bit of a rut lately.  AKD usually has a milkshake, the rest of the boys have ice cream with various toppings, and I'm usually too full to partake.  It's a little boring.  But when I ask my boys what we should have for dessert (so I can buy any necessary ingredients ahead of time), all I get are blank stares.

This past week, AKD said we should have the apple pie that's in the freezer (you can click to find out how it got there), which sounded like a great idea to 2/5 of us...but on Sunday we discovered that there wasn't an apple pie in our freezer.  So disappointing (for 2.5 of us).

This week, I decided to take the matter to Facebook.  Facebook is excellent at figuring out things like what we should serve for dessert.

I got some great ideas (thanks everyone!), and decided to make this:


It's Raspberry Pretzel Jello Salad.  Doesn't it look yummy? My friend Rocky suggested it.  Except strawberries are on sale here this week, so I was going to use strawberries instead of raspberries. 

But then I read the recipe and discovered that the berries are supposed to be frozen to help the jello set.  It seemed a shame to buy fresh strawberries and freeze them just for this, so I'm saving it for another time (next week, maybe?).

Instead, I will make this:
{Image Source}
Doesn't that just look divine?  It's a Pampered Chef recipe: Strawberry-Coconut* Tres Leche Trifle.  Perfect for Cinco de Mayo, si?  You can find the recipe in several places online, including here.

My friend Mama Bear suggested it, and she said she always leaves the cinnamon out, so I think I will, too.

This recipe makes 24 servings, which means we're going to have (a lot) extra, if you'd care to stop by on Sunday (I wonder if this would freeze well).

*In case the coconut in the title turns you off, you should know that it's coconut milk, not actual coconut, in the trifle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...