Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sneaky Zucchini

Humph.  This project is taking longer than I thought it would.  That's right: I've officially thrown in the towel on weeding this patch of real estate, my arch nemesis.  I'm not sure if I'm going to make my self-imposed Saturday deadline...  I'm about 2/5 done digging up irises; I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get them all out by Saturday, but then I need to plant, edge, and mulch.  By the way, if you need any irises, feel free to stop by--we've got plenty (and Hubby doesn't like it so much when I just chuck them into the woods and they start growing there)!

************************

Did you know that August 8 was national "sneak some zucchini on to your neighbor's porch" day?  Yes, it's actually a day.  Unfortunately, I missed it due to lack of production.  I think I was watering the zucchini too much, because once I cut down, the zucchinis started producing, and now I have 3 beauties sitting on my counter waiting for me to do something with them. 

Here are some fun ideas from allrecipes.com to accomplish your sneak.  I actually would have appreciated a neighbor sneaking zucchini on to my porch on August 8, but just in case your neighbors are not like me in this regard, here's a kinder, gentler way to sneak that green summer squash onto your neighbor's doorstep (because I know you're already planning for next year):

(The BEST Ever) Zucchini Nut Muffins
3 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
2 c sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 c oil (soybean preferred)
2 c grated, unpeeled zucchini
1/2 t vanilla
1 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c golden raisins (I leave these out)

Preheat oven to 350.  Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, then set aside.  Combine sugar and eggs in large mixing bowl and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.  Gradually add oil, beating constantly 2-3 minutes.  Add zucchini and vanilla and blend well.  Stir in walnuts and raisins.  Fold in sifted dry ingredients just until batter is evenly moistened--careful not to overmix.  Spoon batter into non-stick muffin pans.  Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Let stand 10 minutes, then turn muffins out onto rack to cool.  Makes 24 muffins.

Mmmm...guess what I'm doing today, besides digging up more irises, that is.  Watch out zucchinis, here I come!

4 comments:

  1. Why does Hubby care if irises are growing in the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't know. I think it looks pretty. Hubby has some strange ideas about vegetation, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you need to find out. I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need a "sneak some iris rhizomes onto your neighbor's porch" day, although now that we've got that big pile sitting at the end of our driveway, they would probably know it's me
    :-/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...