Thursday, August 4, 2011

Score!

Seeing "Score!" written like that up ^ there reminds me of when AKD was a little over a year old, and we taught him to put his hands up when we yelled "score."
Harper's Ferry, VA
July 2001
Shew!  That was a looooooong time ago. 

Just had to share this with someone who would appreciate it, and since my favorite person to brag about deals to is not taking my calls today...guess I'll put it out there in cyberspace and hope some bargain hunting Scout mom or dad will read this :)

Today I bought a pair of official Boy Scout Switchback uniform pants (with zip-off legs, no less), which normally retails for $39.99, for $1.99 (plus no tax)!  I also bought a Columbia rain jacket for about 5% of what it would have cost new.  Whoo hoo!  Serious score in the bargain department!

Hey, it's my husband's birthday today.  Happy Birthday, Hubby!

...and that's enough exclamation points for one blog post...

Oh dear, what am I to do?  Bubby-boy has fallen asleep while waiting for me to get the Blues Clues game started.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to blog a bit longer...and stay up a bit longer tonight when Bubby-boy is unable to sleep because of this impromptu nap.  Am I really that boring, that he had to fall asleep?

So, this week, I found out which teachers my kids are going to have.  J asked me last week which class MC was in, and I told her I'd let her know as soon as I did.  So today I dutifully emailed to let her know that MC is not in the same class as her son, and she replied with the names of 3 other boys who are in MC's class.  I wonder how she knows this.  I mean, is there some secret convocation of HES moms meeting on the sly?  Why wasn't I invited?!  (oops.  another exclamation point snuck in there)

It is at times like this that I feel so very disconnected.  I don't fit in here, and I fear that I never will.  I mean honestly, isn't 5 years enough time to find my place here?  There are days, like yesterday, when the only grown-up I see is myself, in the mirror.  There are days, like yesterday, when the only grown-up I talk to is myself.  It's a lonely place to be.

When I lived in another place, a beautiful place, surrounded by trees and bordered by a burbling creek, I also felt lonely.  I started a women's Bible study group, and when we got to the part where we were supposed to share why we had come, I courageously shared my feelings of loneliness and disconnect, figuring I was the only one.  I mean, these were women who had it all together.  They were women whom I admired and respected; they were wise and successful.
I was shocked.  Utterly shocked, when, to a woman, they all expressed the same feelings of loneliness and disconnect.  It really goes to show that you don't know, you can't know, what trials another is facing just by looking at them.  I grew to love those women, and I hope they know how much our sisterhood meant to me...how wonderful it was to finally know that I wasn't alone.

Dear God, please, send me a friend.  Send me a friend so I'll know, again, that I'm not the only one.  Until then, dear Father, help me to know, with all that I am, that You are enough for me.

Ah, the Bubby-boy is stirring, so it's time to go.  I won't be wrapping this blog post up with a neat little bow, a nugget of insight, a beam of hope.  Just a question.  Why?  Why is the human condition so. darn. lonely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...