Friday, March 25, 2011

Today I choose...

We are defined by our choices, and today, I choose to treat my body like the temple it is.  I choose to believe the best of others; I choose to be present with and for my husband and my children.  And today I choose to live in light of eternity.

But when the kindness and love
of God our Savior appeared, he saved us,
not because of righteous things we had done,
but because of his mercy. He saved us through
the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit,
whom he poured out on us generously
through Jesus Christ our Savior,
so that, having been justified by his grace,
we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3:4-7

We all live with the hope of eternity--that there is more to come after this earthly life--but we so often lose sight of that.  It is so easy to get bogged down in the nitty gritty details of this life, and we forget that our time on earth is just an instant compared with eternity.  And we forget that now (yes, right now) is part of eternity--whatever it is we think we'll be doing in eternity, we really ought to be doing now. 

I think if we truly lived with eternity in mind, we would live with open hearts, loving and accepting each other, and not taking ourselves, or our problems, quite so seriously.  We would live with open hands, not holding on to our possessions, or even our loved ones, so tightly, but offering them back to the One who gave them to us, who cares for us, knowing that He will care for them.  We would live joyfully, rather than constantly seeking happiness.

For our light and momentary troubles
are achieving for us an eternal glory
that far outweighs them all.
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen,
but on what is unseen,
since what is seen is temporary,
but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:17-18

And so today, I choose to live in light of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...