Friday, January 7, 2011

Frame-worthy

Hey there, all you digital frame owners!  Do you have trouble remembering to update the pictures in your digital frame?  Well, join my all-new Digital Frame Club, by sending me an email with "Digital Frame Club" in the subject line, and I'll send you timely reminders to change your pictures 4 times a year, or whenever I remember to remind you.  How's that for an offer?!  And we can get started right now...time to update those pictures!
* * * * * * * * * * * *  
We are celebrating snow this week at our house!  Of course we've been playing in the snow every day.  Today Bubby was plowing the driveway with his 'dozer while we were waiting for the bus (as he does every day), and our neighbor asked if we could send him over to do hers.  He actually does a pretty good job of clearing the snow, but with only an 8" blade it takes a loooooong time. 

 On Wednesday we made snowflake votive holders--I'm so pleased with how they turned out.  I love the way the light flickers through the tissue paper, highlighting the snowflakes. 
Last night as I was preparing today's craft, which was inspired by Valerie of Frugal Family Fun Blog, I commented to my Hubby that this one was going to be frame-worthy.  It's beautiful, and really, it's so easy, even a 19 and 3/4 month-old could do it.  I'm so excited to frame and hang this one in our basement gallery.

First, I used masking tape to make a basic snowflake shape on canvas paper (I used Artist's Loft fundamentals Acrylic Pad ($4.99 for 20 sheets at Michaels, minus 40% off coupon equals just 15 cents a page), but you could use any paper that would allow the masking tape to be removed without ripping the paper).  I think if I were to do this again I would cut the tape on an angle so that the tips of the snowflake come to a point.

I taped newspaper to the table to protect it and taped the canvas paper to the newspaper (using loops of tape on the back, so as not to block off any of the front), to keep it from moving around. 


Next, I invited the children over to paint (actually, they were already hanging around anxious to get started, so I really didn't need to "invite" them)--they used 1" foam brushes to cover the entire surface with purple, 2 shades of blue, and sparkly blue paint.  They did not, for some reason, use their fingers this time.


After the paint had dried completely, I peeled off the masking tape to reveal a white snowflake beneath.
 

Next, I outlined the snowflake with a sharpie.  Aren't they beautiful?  Definitely frame-worthy.  Now, I know I saw a 12x9" frame somewhere recently!

We also made snow "ice cream" this morning, using a recipe I found on Family Fun's website:
Mix 3 cups clean, loose snow, 2 T milk, 1/4 c sugar, and 1 t vanilla, and enjoy immediately. 

It was much too sweet for me.  I'm thinking we would have needed double the snow...or maybe the problem was the fact that the sugar didn't have time to dissolve.  If that's the case, this recipe, from Paula Dean, which I saw on Facebook recently, would probably be better:
Paula Dean's snow ice-cream
8 cups snow (don't use the yellow stuff)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. of vanilla
Combine ingredients in a bowl and serve right away
 
Maybe next time.  And speaking of next time, next week we'll be making snowmen from 2x4s (oh, Hubby, would you happen to have about 16 inches of 2x4 that I can use?)

2 comments:

  1. I like this digital "photo frame" that my mom showed me (if you are using Windows XP) :-)
    It is called "my picture slideshow" - Just google "To use personal pictures as a screen saver" and click the top link to see how to set it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness!!! I am SO happy the kiddos did the snowflake paintings -- they look beautiful! What a pretty addition to your art gallery!

    Thanks so much for sharing. It totally made my day! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...