Monday, November 22, 2010

Brownie Pecan Pie

I'm not a football expert, or anything,  but I think the Vikings would have had a better chance of winning if their quarterback had been on the field...
 * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I think that pecan is both my dad's and my father in law's favorite kind of pie.  I like it, too, but it always seems like there's something...missing.  That's why I was excited to try this Brownie Pecan Pie recipe--everything's better with chocolate, right?  A few days ago, I asked my husband if he would eat this pie if I made it.  He told me no.  I was a little hurt, but thought, good, more for me!  Yesterday, while Hubby was at the game, taking pictures of quarterbacks cavorting with the fans instead of stomping their feet on the field, I put it together.  Then, while Hubby was at the Cub Scout meeting, discussing who knows what, I tried a piece.  So good--you've got to try it, too!


Black Forest Brownie Pecan Pie
1 c. light or dark corn syrup
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 t. salt
4 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate, broken into pieces (I used ~2/3 c. semi-sweet choc. chips)
3 T butter or margarine
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 t vanilla extract
1 c coarsely chopped pecans (I used ~1 c. chopped, + ~1/2 c. halves)
1 Keebler Ready Crust Graham 2 Extra Servings Pie Crust (or make your own graham cracker crust)

1. Combine corn syrup, sugar and salt in a small saucepan.  Bring mixture to boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.
2. Add chocolate and butter to syrup mixture, stirring until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.  Let cool for 5 min.
3. Pour chocolate mixture slowly over eggs, stirring constantly.  Add vanilla and pecans; mix well.  Place pie crust on a baking sheet or pizza pan (for stability).  Pour mixture into crust.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 50 minutes, until center of pie is slightly puffed; cool at least 1 hour.  To serve, top each slice of pie with about 1/4 c. cherry pie filling and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired (we skipped the cherries, and added a scoop of vanilla ice cream).

So when hubby got home, he did end up trying a piece.  After a few bites, he found me and said, "is this the pie I said I wouldn't eat if you made it?"  I replied in the affirmative.  Oh, he said, this is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...