Thursday, October 28, 2010

I decided to finally change sheets this morning--it's time for cozy flannel on the big bed :-)  It's actually only been 2 weeks since there were clean sheets on my bed, but I'm not really sure how long it's been for the boys--their sheets didn't stand up on their own or anything when I removed them, so not too terribly long. 

All of the boys I gave birth to were in the shower when I went in to ask the younger two which sheets they would like on their beds.  After ascertaining that Logo would like sports, and Bubby would like Cars, I was walking away to dutifully pull out said sheets and apply them to said beds, when I overheard my first-born comment to his brother (insert your best pre-teen angst/drama here), "oh, I am soooo glad I don't have to deal with that."  Pausing, I heard MC echo my thoughts, asking, "what do you mean?"  "Well," Code-man replied, "I get to change my own sheets, so I get to decide when and how I want to do it."

That sure put a smile on my face, to hear my little growing-up boy taking responsibility for one little task that needs to be done.  See, that's the goal, really: to take these helpless, vulnerable creatures, and turn them into independent, self-sufficient, self-sustaining citizens.  This small step forward is a victory along that path to adulthood.  I, personally, don't think it's a such horrible hardship to have to decide which sheets to put on my bed, especially if someone else is going to be doing the put-ing, but I'm happy to have relieved Code-man of this perceived burden.  I'm wondering if I should let him do his own laundry, too?  Make supper?  The possibilities...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...